Drinking Water Warning
DRINKING WATER WARNING
Liberty Pipeline Company water has acidic pH
DO NOT DRINK WATER
Water collected from local Cutler springs has acidic pH levels and is treated with Lime prior to distribution. The treatment system has failed, which increases the likelihood of changes in water quality including the following:
· Leaching of heavy metals from infrastructure, including Lead and Copper
· Change in Taste, Odor, and Color
Utah Division of Drinking Water Staff was notified on Thursday March 23rd, 2023 that the treatment system which treats the Cutler Springs has failed. The Cutler Springs have historically had low pH and without treatment, the change in pH can disrupt the chemical stability of the distribution system, leading to leaching of heavy metals posing health risks to those who consume the drinking water.
What is being done?
This public notice is being issued to make consumers aware of the risks associated with consuming water with an acidic pH. To assess the situation and work towards a resolution, the Division of Drinking water will take water quality samples and readings at the sources of Liberty Pipeline Company and throughout the distribution system on March 24th, 2023. Appropriate responses will be determined once the results are received. Please do not drink water until the severity of the situation is understood, and appropriate actions have been taken. We are currently working towards fixing the treatment system failure.
What should the consumer do?
● DO NOT DRINK THE WATER UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. The appropriate steps are being taken to identify hazards and resolve them.
● Below are the public health concerns associated with potential present contamination:
○ Lead. Infants and children who drink water containing lead in excess of the action level could experience delays in their physical or mental development. Children could show slight deficits in attention span and learning abilities. Adults who drink this water over many years could develop kidney problems or high blood pressure.
○ Copper. Copper is an essential nutrient, but some people who drink water containing copper in excess of the action level over a relatively short amount of time could experience gastrointestinal distress. Some people who drink water containing copper in excess of the action level over many years could suffer liver or kidney damage. People with Wilson's Disease should consult their personal doctor.
For more information, please contact Jodi Davis at 801-745-2088 or Jodi@LibertyPipelineCompany.
General guidelines on ways to lessen the risk of infection by microbes are available from the EPA Safe Drinking Water Hotline at 1(800) 426-4791 Division website: drinkingwater.utah.gov.
Please share this information with all the other people who drink this water, especially those who may not have received this notice directly (for example, people in apartments, nursing homes, schools, and businesses). You can do this by posting this notice in a public place or distributing copies by hand or mail.
This notice is being sent to you by Liberty Pipeline. Water System ID#: UTAH29008. Date distributed: 3-23-2023